Katie Lasky is a co-founder of Lasky Murphy LLC and has been recognized as a leader in business and commercial litigation by her peers and publications including Super Lawyers® (2015-2019) and Best Lawyers (2016-2017). She was recently named as one of the top 50 lawyers in Louisiana by Super Lawyers® (2019) and top 25 women lawyers in Louisiana (2018-2019). Her practice focuses on commercial litigation including matters related to business contracts, unfair business practices, breach of duties by corporate officers and directors, and intellectual property disputes. Katie is a capable and experienced litigator who has tried numerous cases in both state and federal court, including recently serving as lead counsel in a jury trial on a breach of contract dispute and securing a $1 million jury verdict. Katie also represents trustees in bankruptcy and litigation trusts in adversary proceedings and breach of fiduciary duty and fraud suits. Katie also has experience in transactional matters, assisting clients with various business agreements and negotiations.
Katie is well-respected by the judiciary and her colleagues, including her adversaries. She is often asked to speak to other lawyers in the community about topics ranging from discovery and legal ethics to social media in the legal profession.
Katie serves the community through handling cases on a pro bono basis, nonprofit board service, and volunteer work. She served as the chair of the Board of Directors of the New Orleans Pro Bono Project and President of the Association for Women Attorneys. Katie has for 10 years routinely served lunch at Ozanam Inn, a New Orleans homeless shelter, and has regularly volunteered to provide notarial services at homeless outreach centers in New Orleans.
She worked as a mentor from 2003 through 2006 through the Boys Hope Girls Hope program and worked with Common Ground in the recovery effort after Hurricane Katrina. Katie was also instrumental in starting the Food From the Bar program in New Orleans, which helps support local food banks in their efforts to feed children during the summer months.
She was recognized by the Louisiana State Bar Association in 2006 with the Pro Bono Publico Award from the Louisiana State Bar Association for outstanding pro bono service to Louisiana’s indigent and in 2013 with the Leah Hipple McKay Award for outstanding volunteerism which is given annually to a Louisiana lawyer or judge who has made significant long-term volunteer efforts throughout his or her career. She is a graduate of the 2004 Metropolitan Leadership Forum sponsored by the Committee For a Better New Orleans/Metropolitan Area Committee. Most recently, Katie was selected as a 2017 Bissinger-Timm Fellow for the Glass Leadership Institute (GLI) of the New Orleans Chapter of the Anti-Defamation League.
Prior to forming Lasky Murphy, Katie worked for some of the preeminent regional firms doing both plaintiff and defense litigation work. As a member of Jones Swanson Huddell & Garrison, she led the firm’s commercial litigation practice. She was the lead associate on the firm’s 2007 case against the technology giant Dell, which prompted the successful criminal prosecution of then-New Orleans mayor Ray Nagin. After law school, Katie worked in the New Orleans office of Phelps Dunbar LLP.
- Georgetown University Law Center, J.D., cum laude, 2003
- Cornell University, A.B., magna cum laude, 1998
- New Jersey
HONORS & APPOINTMENTS
- Selected for inclusion in the 2020 edition of The Best Lawyers in America® for professional excellence for her work in commercial litigation.
- Selected as one of the top 50 lawyers in Louisiana by Louisiana Super Lawyers®, 2019.
- Selected to New Orleans CityBusiness’ Leadership in Law Class of 2019.
- Selected as one of the top 25 women lawyers in Louisiana by Louisiana Super Lawyers®, 2018-19.
- Selected for inclusion in the Louisiana Super Lawyers® list in Business Litigation, 2015-2019 and the Louisiana Rising Stars® list in Business Litigation, 2013-2014.
- Named in the 2016 and 2017 Best Lawyers Commercial Litigation publications.
- One of New Orleans CityBusiness Magazine’s 2013 “Women of the Year.”
- Recipient of the Louisiana State Bar Association’s 2013 Leah Hipple McKay Award for outstanding volunteerism.
- Service on the New Orleans Pro Bono Project Board of Directors from 2006 through 2013 and 2017-2018, including serving as Board Chair in 2012-2013, and recipient of the Project’s 2013 Leadership Award.
- Secretary, Board of Directors, Georgetown Club of New Orleans
- Member, Board of Directors, Association for Women Attorneys, 2006-2013.
- Graduate of 2004 Metropolitan Leadership Forum, Committee For a Better New Orleans/Metropolitan Area Committee.
PUBLICATIONS & SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTS
- “Professionalism and #MeToo: The Times They Are A Changin’,” Louisiana State Bar Association’s Ethics and Professionalism Watch Your Ps and Qs Seminar, December 2018 and LJC/LSBA Joint Summer School June 2019.
- “Professionalism: Design Think
ing for Lawyers in Practice and Life,” New Orleans Bar Association’s 11th Hour Ethics and Professionalism Series, December 2018.
- “Professionalism: Issues & Duties When Lawyers Leave a Firm,” New Orleans Bar Association’s Procrastinators’ Program, December 2017.
- “Proving Lost Profits for a New Business,” American Bar Association Section of Litigation, Business Torts and Unfair Competition Committee Spring Journal, May 2017.
- “Navigating the Rules of Ethics When Representing Multiple Clients,” panel presentation, Louisiana State Bar Association Trial Practice CLE, December 2016.
- “Tweets, Status Updates and Selfies: Lawyers and Social Media,” Louisiana Association for Justice CLE a la Carte, December 2014.
- “10 Things Every Good Associate Should Know,” panel presentation, Big Easy Bootcamp, November 2013.
- “Discovery and Ethics- What Do You Really Need and How to Get It,” panel presentation, Louisiana State Bar Association Trial Practice CLE, December 2012.
- Louisiana State Bar Association
- New Orleans Bar Association
- New Orleans Bar Association Inn of Court
- Association for Women Attorneys
- Louisiana Bar Foundation
LASKY MURPHY LLC
715 GIROD STREET, SUITE 250
NEW ORLEANS, LA 70130